Don’t Get Left in the Cold – Tips for Winterizing Your Skin
We know summer can wreck havoc on our skin. Did you also know winter can be just as damaging if you don’t adjust your skin care regime to protect against the colder, dryer conditions of the season? At Anton Aesthetics in Newport Beach, we offer numerous in-office skin care treatments to help your skin look wonderful year-round.
Exfoliate Your Skin
Winter can be the best time of year to repair sun-damaged skin. Sun exposure and sunblock products leave pores clogged and skin looking dull. Exfoliating with one of these professional treatments will help clear the pores and remove the top layer of dead skin (epidermis).
Microdermabrasion: A non-surgical approach to rejuvenating skin by gently sanding the skin to remove the thicker, uneven outer layer
- Treats light scarring, discoloration and sun damage
- Thickens collagen, which produces a younger-looking complexion
- Maximizes the results of other treatments like chemical peels, IPL and Dermapen when done in conjunction
|We like a Microdermabrasion plus Oxygen Treatment to exfoliate and hydrate!|
Chemical Peels: Damages the skin in a controlled manner, producing a superficial wound
- One of the least invasive ways to improve wrinkled, spotted, or acne scared skin
- Improves skin texture by removing the sun-damaged outer layers
- Promotes collagen growth
|We like the Spot Peel for improving pigment and the Cosmo Peel for improving texture.|
Moisturize Your Skin
The key to winter moisturizing is choosing the right product. You need at least a medium-weight face cream to maintain the skin’s barrier and help hold in moisture.
- Moisturize twice a day, after showering and before bed.
- Add a hydrating gel to maximize the benefits of your daily moisturizer.
|SkinCeuticals Emollience Moisturizer: Made up of natural extracts and oils, it’s perfect for dry or sensitive skin and ideal for cold climates
SkinCeuticals Hydrating B5 Gel: Hyaluronic acid in this gel is a natural humectant that is capable of retaining 1,000 times its own weight in water
Your face isn’t the only part of your body that gets drier during the winter months. It’s just as important to take care of your entire body. Follow these recommendations:
- Take shorter showers. Lengthy exposure to hot water makes your skin even dryer.
- Don’t dry completely after showering. Blot your skin with a towel and immediately moisturize. The water on your skin’s surface and the moisturizer help draw it into lower skin levels.
- Use creams and oils instead of lotion. They create a stronger barrier for your skin, reduce water loss from the outer layer, and provide hydration.
|CocoDerm, Organic Virgin Coconut Oil: It is pure – free of parabens and artificial fragrances – and loaded with vitamin E and Lauric Acid.
Precision MD Celfix DNA: This product blends enzymes, antioxidants, and hyaluronic acid.
Protect Your Skin
More than 90% of visible skin aging is caused by sun exposure. Even though summer is over, the sun can still damage our skin. (And lets face it, in Southern California there’s a chance of sunshine almost everyday!) You need to apply some type of sunscreen on your face every single morning.
- Use a sunscreen with a chemical and physical block
- Apply sunscreen everyday—rain or shine!
- When exposed to direct sun, reapply sunscreen every few hours
|Colorscience Loose Mineral Sunscreen: A loose mineral formula that can be used as a light foundation alone or over other makeup. It’s easy to apply and reapply when necessary.
SkinCeuticals Physical Fusion SPF 30: Combines barrier repair and broad-spectrum UVA and UVB protection. It provides all day hydration and it increases the essential proteins responsible for your skin’s barrier integrity.
Winterize Your Skin from Within
You are what you eat, so choose foods that help moisturize your skin!
- Drink water, water, and more water! When it’s not hot outside you don’t get as thirsty, but your body and skin still need hydration. Water hydrates skin, flushes out toxins, and adds elasticity to skin, which makes it appear soft and smooth.
- Eat foods rich in Vitamins A and C, like spinach and berries.
- Take supplements with Omega 3s. The daily recommended dose is 600-1000 mg
- Limit your alcohol and caffeine intake; both can dehydrate you, and your skin shows it.
If you would like a free skin care consultation to discuss winterizing your skin, call Anton Aesthetics at 949-722-1967 or fill out ouronline contact form.
Get radiant, glowing skin for the Holidays! During the months of November and December 2013, Anton Aesthetics is offering 50% off our in-office Microdermabrasion treatment ($125 Value). Sign up to receive this special offer, and rejuvenate your skin for the holidays!